AMERCAN ASSOCIATION OF CRITICAL CARE NURSES-GREATER LOUISVILLE CHAPTER
AACN-GLC Guidelines Based On National AACN Bylaws
AACN-GLC will continue to adopt National's bylaws with corresponding policies. Refer to the Bylaws of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses to supplement this document.
The AACN-Greater Louisville Chapter (AACN-GLC) embraces National AACN’s mission. The Chapter is committed to providing opportunities for enhancing professional development and leadership, as well as to the maintenance of a communication network for critical care and acute care nurses.
Active Member: All active members must maintain membership in National AACN.
Lifetime membership: All Past-Presidents shall automatically become lifetime members providing they submit verification of current National membership. If current National membership is not documented, then the Past-President shall be considered an honorary member.
Student Membership: Any student in an approved nursing program and who is not currently licensed as a registered nurse shall be eligible for student membership in the National AACN. Students are invited to attend AACN-GLC Chapter meetings. Dinners and educational offering are allowed as registration restraints permit.
2. ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
Board of Directors shall have current membership by the first general meeting of the fiscal year and remain in good standing.
All committee Chairpersons shall submit committee membership lists to the Membership Chairperson in a timely manner to give credit to committee members and to check for delinquencies of Chapter dues.
ELECTIONS AND VOTING BY MEMBERSHIP
1. In a timely manner prior to the date of the June election, a call for nominations will be issued to the membership via newsletter and/or special email announcement.
2. At a regularly scheduled meeting prior to the June election, a call for nominations from the floor shall take place at the board meeting. Seconds to the nominations are not required.
The ballot shall be prepared by the Board, allowing a blank line under each elected position for a write-in candidate.
1. Voting shall be by paper ballot at the last regularly scheduled meeting prior to the election.
2. Annual voting for Board of Directors and Standing Committee Chairmen shall be by closed paper ballot, unless all positions are unopposed in which case one member may cast a yes vote for the entire slate.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
DECISIONS REQUIRING APPROVAL BY THE BOARD
- Directors of the Chapter shall be President, President-Elect, Immediate Past-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Treasurer-Elect. Chapter Standing Committees/Chairs shall be: Membership & Hospitality, Education & Symposium, Publications & Newsletter, Data Management, Community, Scholarships, Liaisons, CE Coordinator, Audit & Chapter Guidelines/Bylaws, Nominating, Health Policy & Legislative, and 2 Members at Large.
- The Executive Board will consist of the President, President-Elect, Treasurer, Treasurer-Elect, Secretary, and Immediate Past-President.
- Each Board member is responsible to maintain the integrity of the National Bylaws, Chapter Bylaws, policies, and budget.
- Each outgoing director shall mentor the incoming director with the duties of the role and present to them the work plan, budget, annual report, and other pertinent information at the annual leadership transitional meeting.
- Directors shall make any or all reports available to the general membership.
Term of office for board of director members shall be one year. The president’s term will be 2 years. There shall be a three (3) year consecutive term limit for each position, exception to be determined by board of directors. Standing committee Chairmen may individually elect to serve more than one year.
Fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting board of directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any board meeting.
- All decision requiring approval by the board of directors will be voted upon primarily during the business meeting.
- Voting at the board meetings will be by a showing of raised hands, unless otherwise requested by a board member.
- When immediate decisions are required during an urgent situation voting by the board may occur via email or phone.
- All motions to remove a director must be brought to the board of directors prior to a vote.
- Board hearings must follow the National Bylaws and Chapter Guidelines.
REMOVAL OF DIRECTORS: Causes:
- Violation of the Chapter Guidelines
- Inability to fulfill position requirements
Board Members shall attend 60% of all chapter meetings/events (6 out of 10 events including regular meetings, Strategic Planning day, and the Symposium)
1. NUMBER AND ELECTION
The officers shall be the President, President-Elect, Immediate Past-President, Treasurer, Treasurer- Elect and Secretary.
1.. Possess a working knowledge of the organizational structure of AACN and the Chapter.
2. Presides at all meetings of the general membership, Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
3. Schedules meetings of the Board of Directors as necessary and formulates the agenda for all Board of Directors meetings. Business meetings of the general membership are to be standardized with announcements, officer reports, and committee member reports. When proposed changes to the agenda are received in a timely manner the agenda will be revised.
4. Directs Annual Transition meeting of the Board of Directors for the purpose of leadership transition and development of a Strategic Plan for the coming year.
5. Provides new Board members with copies of the Chapter Guidelines, and needed committee documents by the Annual Transition meeting (first meeting of the Board of Directors).
6. Appoints all special committee/task force Chairpersons.
7. Reviews annual achievements and work plans with each committee Chairperson on a yearly basis.
8. Directs a combined meeting of the Board for the purpose of annual transition in collaboration with the President-Elect.
9. Directs the review and revisions of the Strategic Plan at the transition meeting.
10. Serves as ex-officio member of all committees.
11. Informs the general membership of Chapter progress, national AACN information and/or health care issues via a newsletter column, meeting address or special email update.
12. Completes AACN reports as requested by the National AACN office and distributes/shares reports with the Chapter Board.
13. Assures representation of the local Chapter at meetings of health professionals as approved by National AACN.
14. Provides ongoing communication with the President-Elect to keep him/her advised of all activities throughout the year.
15. Presents an annual report to the general membership.
- Acts as liaison to the Symposium Committee.
- Conducts a vote of the Board if an issue arises that needs an immediate decision.
- Coordinates process for application for Chapter awards.
- Chairs the Audit & Chapter Guidelines/Bylaws Committee.
- Reviews/revises and presents Chapter Guidelines/Bylaws for approval within 3 months of taking office.
- Assists the President and Past-President with review of the Strategic Plan.
- Participates in other activities via joint decision with the President.
- Serves as Chairperson of the Nominating committee.
- Serves as resource/consultant for Chapter activities.
- Assists the President with formulation and/or revisions of the Strategic Plan.
- Assists the President with facilitation of the Transition Meeting.
- Assists the President-Elect with the review of the Chapter Guidelines.
- Participates in other activities via joint decision with the President.
- Provides copies of all minutes of the general Chapter and board meetings to the Board of Directors.
- Assures that a copy of all minutes is available to the membership at the regular meetings.
- Collects, distributes and facilitates all correspondence for the Chapter including telephone, email, and
postal mail in a timely manner.
- Provides refreshments, speaker gifts, Board member acknowledgements, and other social amenities as deemed appropriate by the Board.
- Complies with the "Chart of Accounts” as prepared by National AACN.
- Completes the Charter Renewal by National AACN’s published deadline.
- Provides a monthly Treasurer report (cash receipts, disbursements, bank statements) for the Board of
Directors and has a copy available for the membership at the Chapter meetings.
- Facilitates preparation of a Chapter budget when requested.
- Prepares the quarterly financial statements to be submitted to National AACN, the President and President-Elect.
- Orients and mentors the Treasurer-Elect during the first quarter of the fiscal year regarding the Chart of Accounts, method of bookkeeping, present assets, quarterly reports, check requests, deposits, check writing, audit process, along with any other duties within the fiscal responsibilities of the Chapter.
- Assures financial management and activities of the general Chapter accounts by the Treasurer-Elect during the second through fourth quarters.
- Receipts and deposits dues and incoming funds from the Membership.
- Assumes responsibility for all Symposium deposits and expenditures.
- Deposits all checks within five business days of receipt of the transaction.
- Submits a summary to the President, President-Elect and Symposium Chair, Symposium Chair-Elect of all income and expenditures of the Symposium within 60 days of the conclusion of the Symposium.
- Provides an annual Symposium budget report to the Board of Directors.
- Serves as a resource for all Board of Directors members on financial matters.
- Ensures total fund disbursement does not exceed the maximum amount budgeted for the fiscal year.
- Submits check signer forms, audit, non-employee compensation form and W-9’s as needed in a timely manner.
- Maintains all financial records for a period of 7 years and cross-cut shreds all records for disposal after that time.
- Reports financial problems of any nature upon discovery to the President.
- Arranges and obtains Board approval for an independent CPA to perform a financial audit during the first _____ of the fiscal year and submits a report of the audit to both the Board and national AACN.
- Complies with "Chart of Accounts" as prepared by National AACN.
- Assures financial management and activities of the general Chapter accounts and for any other income generating activities during the second through fourth quarters.
- Develops a working knowledge regarding the Chart of Accounts, method of bookkeeping,
present assets, reports, check requests, deposits, check writing, audit process, charges, along with any other duties within the financial responsibilities of the Chapter.
- Participates in other activities via joint decision with the Treasurer and President.
COMMITTEE / CHAIRPERSON / CO-CHAIRPERSON RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Each Chairperson shall keep committee minutes as appropriate and advise the Board and President of activities in a timely manner.
2. Each Chairperson shall attend at least 60% of all chapter meetings and perform the duties listed for their position.
3. When objectives of committees overlap, it is the responsibility of each Chairperson to notify the appropriate committee and the President. Joint committee meetings are to be encouraged.
4. Each committee will maintain fiscal responsibility and obtain approval for expenditures as appropriate.
- Each committee will present a report of activities at Board meetings and general meetings as appropriate. Reports will be given by the Chairperson or a designated member of the committee and will be documented in Board Meeting Minutes.
- Each Committee will review and evaluate their annual work plan at mid-year.
- All committee members will hold current National AACN and AACN-GLC membership and represent the organizations in a professional manner.
- Committee members will perform the duties of the committee as outlined in the annual work plan.
- Committee membership is determined at the discretion of the Chair.
STANDING CHAIR/CO-CHAIR POSITIONS AND COMMITTEES
Encourages qualified applicants to apply for chapter membership.
Formulates and facilitates plans for recruiting and retaining members.
Confirms eligibility via national membership before accepting applicants for chapter membership.
Confirms new and renewing members and distributes pertinent information within 30 days of receiving application.
Maintains a current Chapter membership database (including e-mails) that is secure and updated. Verifies that all committee members are current with both national and local membership.
Notifies members within one month of expiration of membership.
Terminates a member if dues are delinquent sixty days following annual date of renewal.
Updates membership mailing lists continuously and provides list to the Board of Directors, Newsletter Chair and Data Manager on at least a biannual basis.
Provides national and chapter membership applications at all chapter events.
Collaborates with other committees, especially Liaisons, to plan social and networking opportunities for members.
Maintains a friendly and social atmosphere at all Chapter functions by welcoming and connecting members.
EDUCATION & SYMPOSIUM
- Arranges speakers and programs for eight monthly meetings (August, September, October or November, January, February, March, April and June).
- Provides content pertinent to critical care, progressive care, acute care and/or pediatrics and other topics of interest to the membership.
- Collaborates with industry representatives to obtain support for monthly meetings and utilizes chapter funding when industry support is not available. Provides mechanisms for communication and social interaction between members.
- Arranges for all audio-visual equipment including a microphone, handout reproduction, food selection (if applicable) and room set up as needed.
- Performs an annual learning needs assessment of the membership.
- Provides quarterly reports to national AACN regarding educational programming. Collaborates with the CE coordinator (committee member) to provide CEUs for monthly programs when appropriate. Collaborates with the Newsletter Chair, Data Manager, Membership Chair and Treasurer to advertise, register and receive funding for all monthly events. Provides the Chapter with an educational Symposium pertaining to the art and science of critical care nursing.
a. Provides the participants with opportunities to meet national and regional representatives to discuss current trends and issues.
b. Provides the participants the opportunity to interact with product vendors, educational representatives, and professional recruiters.
d. Applies for national AACN continuing education approval
e.Identifies and contracts speakers to participate in the Symposium.
f. Designs and mails the Symposium brochure with the help of outside contracted services.
g. Arranges for audio-visual equipment, room set-up, food service, industry displays, and syllabus reproduction for the Symposium.
h. Collaborates with the Newsletter Chair, Data Manager, Membership Chair and Treasurer to advertise, register and receive funding for the Symposium.
i. Provides registration and sign-in services on the day of the event.
j. Provides ongoing updates to the Board regarding the Symposium and a final report when completed. xix. Utilizes Board and participant feedback to make improvement for future Symposiums.
PUBLICATIONS / NEWSLETTER
- Creates and email distributes the Post-Time News for the Chapter four times a year (September, December, March and June).
- Coordinates submission of regular column pieces from Board members, conference summaries from scholarship winners, and articles of interest from chapter members and nonmembers (if relevant) for publication in the newsletter.
- Develops and distributes meeting reminders, invitations, advertisements of community service projects and flyers for educational events to the Chapter membership and Board.
- Maintains the Chapter’s email account and email database.
- Distributes email inquiries received to the appropriate Board members for response.
- Collaborates closely with the Membership Chair to keep email database up-do-date
- DATA MANAGEMENT
- Serves as contact person and collects RSVPs for all monthly meetings.
- Develops the roster for monthly meetings and other chapter events as determined by the Board.
- Maintains a database of monthly meeting and symposium attendance.
- Signs-in pre-registered members at monthly meetings.
- Identifies trends in attendance and reports to the Board.
- Emails members not meeting attendance requirements at monthly programs.
- Submit articles for newsletters as needed.
- Maintains copies of past attendance records and other documents.
- Identifies worthy causes for community-based involvement by the Chapter.
- Collaborates with the Board to select charities appropriate for Chapter involvement.
- Coordinates the donation of money, tangible items, and member volunteer time through phone/email communication, poster development, and newsletter articles.
- Works closely with the Newsletter Chair, Membership Chair and Treasurer to advertise projects, obtain volunteers, and arrange funding.
- Develops a mechanism for financial support of professional education endeavors for members (NTI, SCCM Congress, and other programs deemed appropriate by the Board).
- Establishes criteria for scholarships that will be reviewed annually with revisions approved by the Board.
- Distributes applications to chapter members and collects and presents a list of applicants for award selection by the Board.
- Tracks award recipients for completion of a summary of their leaning for publication in the chapter newsletter.
- Liaison solicits and recruits liaisons to serve as a hospital-based link to the chapter to promote member recruitment and improve bedside communication. Maintains and updates a list of hospital-based liaisons.
- Prepares a list of nominees for all board positions.
- Verifies with the Membership Committee that all candidates are members in good standing.
- Verifies that the candidates for the office of President-Elect shall have served actively as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Collaborates with the entire Board to approve the slate of candidates.
- Works to ensure that liaisons funnel information about educational opportunities, community projects, business meetings and networking opportunities to nurses at the unit-based level.
- Assess the needs of nurses in the community via direct feedback from liaisons.
- Designs the CCRN Celebration invitation and facilitates promotion of the event.
- Develops and utilizes skills to enhance the Chapter’s image to fellow critical care nurses, professional organizations, the consumer and the news media.
- CE COORDINATOR
- Applies for and maintains CE Providership through the Board of Registered Nursing for use by the Chapter.
- Develops program evaluation forms and CE certificates for applicable Chapter meetings.
- Collects completed evaluation forms and distributes CEUs at applicable Chapter meetings.
- Maintains program materials according to established regulations for all applicable Chapter meetings.
- Tallies feedback from evaluation forms for sharing at the Strategic Planning meeting.
- HEALTH POLICY AND LEGISLATIVE / MARKETING i. Provides Chapter members with information on current legislation impacting health care both nationally and regionally.
- ii. Provides members with a mechanism for political involvement. (ie., Lobby Day, Nurse in Washington Internship)
- AUDIT & CHAPTER GUIDELINES/BYLAWS (Chaired by President-Elect)
- The President, President-Elect (recommended), Treasurer and Treasurer-Elect (required) will attend any meetings held to discuss the audit.
- Follows guidelines of national AACN.
- Reviews Chapter Guidelines/Bylaws and reports recommendations for changes to the Board for approval.
- NOMINATING (Chaired by Immediate Past-President)
- Solicits nominations for active participation on the Board via a formal Call for Nominations via email request, newsletter and meeting announcements.
- Maintains and updates the website.
- Accesses Paypal account as needed.
- Complies with all the other requirements of the board.
- Participates as a member of the Board of Directors attending regular meetings, transition meetings and other chapter events as scheduled.
- Represents the general membership on issues of interest or concern, particularly those that arise outside of the standing committee structure.
- Makes serious commitment to participate actively in any assigned committee or task force. Provides a minimum of once-a-year submission to the membership newsletter.
- Makes an effort to become familiar with chapter’s programs, bylaws, policies and procedures, and strategic plan.
REQUEST FOR CHECKS
- Check request forms with receipts shall be given to the Treasurer prior to issuance of check (exceptions are honorariums and donations).
- Check request forms shall be signed by the person submitting the request and the Chair of committee (exception: Symposium subcommittee Chairs may authorize check requests for their specific subcommittee).
- a. Chapter activities including but not limited to annual monthly meeting calendar, professional
- education activities, Symposium program, community projects, any public speaking
- engagements that represent the Chapter or any poster presentations representing the Chapter, will be submitted to the board for review and approval.
- a. Will be considered a unique nursing-related opportunity not covered by Scholarships & Awards.
- a. Guidelines for special funding shall be requested from the Chapter secretary and will be maintained as an attachment to these policies.